Saturday, March 1, 2008

Day 1: Face It And Fly

The alarm went off at 3:40 in the morning. I rolled over and turned the light on.
"Anne! I need you to wake up and tell me everything is going to be ok. I don't want to go!"
"I'm awake. You'll be fine."
I don't remember the drive to the airport. When we got there, I lost my mind. I needed something to go wrong so that I didn't have to get on the plane. No luck. I got to security and Anne stopped me and told me that she couldn't go any further. I burst into tears. I cried through security, and slowly regained my sanity before I boarded the plane.
In Miami, I cried again. I was so scared. Nothing in me wanted to get on that plane. But I faced it, and I got on.
Ten hours later, I landed in Brazil. No turning back now. Nine hours later, our bus pulled into Garca. I was amazed at the sights. I got off the bus having no idea what to expect, but here I was. I made it. Point me to the nearest bed, please.

No comments: