Wednesday, October 3, 2007

Prelude to "The Other Me"

I've never told anyone this, but when I was seventeen I was diagnosed with a personality disorder by a social worker. I think I've never told anyone because I thought it made me sound crazy. And well, yeah, I am a little crazy :). I've been accused of having more than one personality on occasion, but I've always denied it. I don't think I would have ever admitted this if it wasn't for a series of events from the past week that caused me to realize that this may be a part of me, whether I like it or not. Realizing that, and also realizing that this disorder was not caused by my own actions, has made me more willing to admit to it. So now I would like to share a piece of me that is becoming more exposed, and therefore is a wound that is beginning to heal. I'd like to explain why I struggle with this disorder, and what happened to me to make me into two different people. This won't be an easy story to write, and it may also not be an easy story to read. But it's my story, and I choose to now to step out of the shadows and whispers and claim it as part of who I am.


[the following entry will be the piece i have entitled "the other me". but seeing as it is well after midnight, I am waiting until tomorrow to post it. fyi.]

[and just in case anyone is curious, this makes much more sense of me that i ever could (though it does make it sound a tad intense):
http://www.nimh.nih.gov/health/publications/borderline-personality-disorder.shtml ]

No comments: