Friday, January 18, 2008

Lest You Forget...

This afternoon I was sitting in the kitchen with the boys watching Blues Clues. They were both eating cheetos as their after lunch snack (yes, there is such a thing), and I was eating green beans. I never really ate cheetos as a kid, and it had probably been at least a year since I had had some, but for some reason they smelled really good. So, when Blaine wasn't looking I grabbed the bag and took a handful. They were incredible. The first thought I had was, "wow, I definitely forgot how good cheetos are". So we spent the next half hour bonding over Blues Clues and cheetos.

Now being as I rarely write about silly things such as food, you are all probably now wondering why I would have so much to say about cheetos. But wait, there is a purpose....ready?

This week Jesus has been giving me strange glimpses into people's secret lives that I really had no desire to glimpse upon. I have found out things I didn't particularly want to know about people that I am not particularly close to. It's been strange, but it has it's meaning. Just like remembering how good cheetos are, Jesus wants me to remember the things He has whispered into my heart. He wants me to remember that I am not the only one with dark, ugly parts inside of me. He wants me to remember that I don't have to hide, because my secrets just make me more human and easier to relate to. But the most important thing He wants me to remember is that He has already covered all of my sins, and all of the sins of others that I have seen the past few days.

Ok, of course, we all know that He died for our sins, right? I've known that for a long time, but I think maybe I forget exactly what that means. I think sometimes I forget just WHAT He did for me. He knew that I would screw up. He knew that my sins would mess with who I am and mess with who I thought He was. And yet, He took them anyways. They are covered, every single one of them. We cannot forget that. I don't ever WANT to forget that.

So now that I am sure that Jesus is not angry, and now that I am sure that all has been forgiven and that He has turned my shame to praise, I must practice remembering. I must not forget what He has done for me, what He has done for us, and how much He loves me and still wants to use me. The only way to stay safe and unafraid is to keep remembering.

God is good, yes? And so are cheetos. Don't forget it.

"Only take care, and keep your soul diligently, lest you forget the things that your eyes have seen, and lest they depart from your heart all the days of your life."
-Deuteronomy 4:9

*photo by somethingstartedcrazyy

No comments: