Wednesday, May 7, 2008

Three Seconds

I had some interesting conversations today. I'll blame it on the weather.

Me- "Hey Rach, you know those first three seconds after you first wake up in the morning, when you forget what you were crying about when you fell asleep, and everything is perfectly ok for a whole three seconds?"

Rachel-"Yeah. I know what you mean."

Me-"That's my favorite time of day. Those three seconds."

My closest friend at work told me I looked like hell when I walked in this morning. An hour later, she left me to a whole day at work alone again. Two hours later I texted her and told her that I didn't want her to go home today. I needed her to solve all of the world's problems for me.

Jen-"What happened?"

Me-"You know those days when you feel like you don't have anything or anyone left? And there isn't anything good left in your life? Those days happen. Today might be one of those days."

Jen-"You gotta stop emphasizing the bad stuff. Focus on the good stuff. I know a lot of bad stuff has happened to you, but you gotta think about the positive. When you switch that shit around, it'll change you."

Me-"But the bad stuff always seems so much bigger than the good stuff."

Jen-"That's because the bad stuff causes more stress. Make a bigger deal out of the good stuff. Treat yourself to stuff. I want to see you happy."

And finally, a text on my way home tonight, after going shopping and having dinner with a friend from work.

Me to Jen- "Life is so much more tolerable when you have friends that make you laugh."

Yes, yes it is. I'll thank God for the good stuff. Even when it only lasts three seconds.

No comments: