Sunday, November 25, 2007

Cross My Heart...

I am not a fan of secrets. I think that they make things very complicated, and I think they have the power to do much harm. The problem is, I have a secret. Today I revealed my secret twice, once this morning to someone I hardly know, and once tonight to a dear friend. In telling my secret twice in one day, I came to realize that maybe I was wrong about secrets. While they can do harm, it seems that sometimes secrets can also liberate and heal.

After the conversation with my dear friend tonight, I did much thinking. Here are some of my observations about my secret (and other secrets):
-we are all human, and we all screw up
-more people have secrets than we realize
-secret sin is something many people understand
-i am not the only guilty one
-there is power in confessing to one another

My new friend that I mentioned on Thanksgiving encouraged me not to tell my secret to anyone. She said that people wouldn't understand, and so telling them would only do me more harm. I think I might disagree. I have been blessed with people in my life who seem to catch the concept of supporting each other and suffering together. I have been blessed with friends who are not as quick to judge as I am, and who are able to love each other through scary secrets.

So, all this being said, maybe I have decided that my secret shouldn't be secret anymore. I need to be liberated, and I need the support it will take for me to walk this valley. Though I am not ready to share with the entire world, I am ready to share with the people I call my friends. So those of you who are my friends, you may ask. I will tell. I'm finally ready. It's too dark in here. It's time to let in the light.

"Confess your sins to one another, and pray for one another so that you may be healed."
-James 5:16

1 comment:

Melissa said...

joy

"the light SHINES in the darkness and the darkness has not overcome it."

John 1:5
[caps added by me]

thank you for sharing yourself with me and others. :)