Sunday, November 18, 2007

Exercises in Honesty


I think sometimes it is easy to forget how much power there is in honesty. I mean real, no holding back honesty. The kind of honesty where you no longer lie to prevent from hurting someone, but instead you just speak truth. Even the kind of truth that hurts.

This morning after church I had a conversation with a friend that might be one of the hardest conversations I have ever had. She just sat down and started talking, barely taking the time to breathe. She chose to be honest with me instead of lying so that I wouldn't get upset. Much to her surprise, though, I was anything but upset. I greatly respected the courage and strength it took for her to say what she said to me. I greatly respect how hard it was to hurt me, and anger and hurt are two emotions I didn't feel.

It was at this moment that I realized how much I've grown up. It surprised me that I was able to take what she said, and use it to grow and learn. It surprised me that I was able to love her even more for what she said that I did before she started talking. I'm grateful that God gives us hearts like His that are able to handle the truth from someone who loves us, and take it and turn it into an experience to grow from. I'm grateful that He transforms me in this way.

The power of honesty cannot be matched. Yes, what my friend said to me caused my heart to break and caused silent tears to fall down my face. Yes, I'm hurt that my friends all feel the same way and I had no idea. Yet, I am so glad that I know now. I am so glad that someone stopped taking the easy way out and exercizing obligation, and instead chose to let the truth be heard. It gives me the chance to change things. It gives me the chance to evaluate, and start over. It gives me the power to, in turn, start speaking more truthfully myself. There are things we all need to hear, and thank you JESUS that we have people to speak them to us.

So take this as a challenge. Are you exercizing convienience in exchange for truth? Are you avoiding honesty so that someone won't get hurt? Are there people in your life that need to hear some truth that you have access to? People can't fix things they don't know they are doing wrong. Tell them. Be honest. You might be surprised at how much the truth can change things (and people!).

This is my heart today. Take it or leave it :)
*photo by Twenty2wo

2 comments:

shultsie said...

you have most definitely transformed joy...and from talking to you today i'm glad you recognize that there is still more transforming to go. not just for you but for all of us especially me. remember...we aren't toys r us kids anymore...

Melissa said...

Yes Joy, it was me. I was lurking in the Atlanta airport. :) I love the freshness in your posts - thanks for writing with real-ness.