Wednesday, November 7, 2007

When The Day Is Done...

There has been a strange, scary rash of murders in the greater Nashville area in the past week or so. One of these murders includes the one at a house less than a mile from mine on Saturday night that caused us to lock our doors on Sunday night (something we rarely do). I have to admit, when one of the murders occurred so close by, I was a little afraid to sleep alone. I am the only person that lives in the basement of my house, and there are windows in the room next to mine (a storage room) that I'm not very sure have locks on them (please don't come burglarize my house). My roommate Bryan made a big deal about freaking me out by telling me that no one would even hear me if I screamed, which is probably true, but after I considered the possibility of being murdered (very unlikely, I know), I realized I had nothing to be afraid of.

I realized that I am completely at peace with the idea of dying. I know this sounds morbid, but I think it's a really good thing! I am totally not afraid to die! I know to Whom I belong, and I know where my soul will come to rest when I walk towards the light (if there really is a light). I'm honestly even looking forward to when my days might come to an end this side of heaven, and I get to meet my Saviour. It's going to be a great day, no matter how I die.

I was watching The Today Show this morning (my newest obsession), and Matt Lauer did an interview of Shirley MacLaine about her new book. Apparently she wrote about how she feels about dying and what she thinks of the "afterlife", and when Matt asked her about it, he admitted that he was totally not okay with the idea of dying. I thought this to be sad, because I think it would be great if we were all okay with not being sure we have another day on this earth. I'm at peace with it, and I want everyone else to be, too.

Just for the record, even though I am at peace with the thought of dying, I am totally not done living yet. I just wanted to get that straight :). As my last post said, I believe God has great plans for me. But I did realize today, that when my days are over and my purpose has been served here on earth, I couldn't be more ready to glimpse the face of God. I couldn't be more ready to dwell forever in His physical presence. Take me whenever You're ready, Jesus. Until then, I'll take all I can from right here, right now.

1 comment:

Melissa said...

It is good to hear peace coming from your post, sister. Hang on to it. :)

Your roommate should be messed with for messing with you like that.